Saturday, December 12, 2020

When You Fight for the Right, Can You Taste the Honey?

There is nothing sweeter than the struggle for the right. If you have ever been part of a justice movement, you have tasted that sweetness.

Psalm 81 says:

Oh, that my people would listen to me!*

     that Israel would walk in my ways...

Israel would I feed with the finest wheat*

             and satisfy him with honey from the rock.

The psalmist writes about a community that walks in God's ways, a community that rejects the false gods, the self interest that draws us from the right. [I'll do me, you do you.] Justice is a community endeavor. It's hard to do it alone.

Is that why John the Baptist ate honey, an interim meal, a foretaste, to help him keep his eye on the prize? Is that why he rejoiced to baptize Jesus, to know that at last he had company in the fight?

Sweet Honey in the Rock is an a cappella group that has given voice to many movements, because We who believe in freedom cannot rest until it comes. When we taste a victory, it is time to find the next struggle.

So, what's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment