Friday, December 11, 2020

And God Said... And It Was Good

My very first religion class, first grade, St. John the Evangelist School, Loveland, Colorado -- I knew nothing, little nonCatholic out of place at school, and lost without my grandma out of place in the world, me -- the first thing I learned about in this foreign place was creation. Every day for seven days, Sister Marilyn took us through the first chapter of Genesis.

There was nothing. And then God spoke. And there was something. There was light.

The next day God spoke again. And there was something else. There was sky.

We made a drawing for each day. Each day, a new word. Each day a new drawing. Each day a new creation.

And each day God pronounced that it was good.

Good, six days in a row, every day, every thing. It's all good.

Two things have never left me.

First, the power of the word -- when God speaks, something happens. Words create. When we speak, something happens. And I have the power to create with my words, too.

Second, that it is good -- God said it. And God would know. Every day, God pronounced what God had made as good. Including the day that God made me.

Including the day that God made you.

No comments:

Post a Comment