Sunday, August 4, 2019

What Does God Want From Me?




The rich old guy died, and everybody wanted to know, casual acquaintances, total strangers, certainly the heirs. They asked the accountant, “How much did he leave?” So the accountant pulled out the file, worked the calculator keys, scribbled some notes, consulted the closing market numbers, referred again to the calculator, finally punched “enter,” and looked up. “He left – everything.”

Everything.

The summer months give us Gospel readings from the middle of Jesus’ public career. Having established a reputation for wisdom, an engaging style and – his own take on things, he attracts crowds who want to hear more. He teaches. Today one of the crowd provides the opening line, Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.


With that, Jesus dives into one of his favorite subjects – money. Now he knows very well that it’s a controversial subject. It was tearing that man’s poor family apart. See, Jesus doesn’t follow our rules about polite conversation and avoiding controversy. But he knows us. He knows why we make those rules. So before he begins this lesson, he has already told us, Fear not! and before the day ends, he will acknowledge, in lines that follow today’s gospel, Do you think I have come to bring peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather a sword!

So why do we even give him a hearing? Why would we consider such an unpleasant subject, let alone a downright divisive one?

He tells us why. Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

It’s worth your time to go home and read the whole of chapter 12, to get the context of the money, the fear, the conflict, and – the invitation.

That’s what this money issue is about. It’s an invitation to get out our passports, box up our fears, and move into the kingdom of God. It’s about what is finally important, where we place our allegiance. And God earnestly, repeatedly, eagerly invites us to pledge our allegiance to that land, that political and economic system, that power and will and final home that is called the kingdom of God.

Have you ever taken it seriously, that you truly can live there, in the kingdom of God? You just fill out your change of address cards, transfer your accounts, and move in. You truly can do that. That is what this money issue is about.

Well each month, usually two weeks before I am scheduled to preach, before I sit down in front of the computer to work on my sermon, I like to look up old sermons given on my text. I want to make sure I don’t repeat myself, unless it’s on purpose. So that’s how I know that once I used the opportunity of this text to talk about tithing.

Tithing is one of my favorite subjects, because it is one of the spiritual disciplines that changed my life. So I jump at most any chance to talk about it.

But something occurred to me as I reread that old sermon. I don’t know if anyone noticed it at the time, the people who heard it, but I noticed it this time – tithing accounts for only ten percent.

The greatest commandment is this, Love the Lord your God with all you mind and all your heart and all your soul and all your strength. And Jesus makes it pretty clear that that includes all your money, as well. But tithing is ten percent. What about the other ninety?

See, one of my spiritual temptations is that I like to please people, or in this case, God. So I want to know, how much? What’s the assignment? Give me the job, so I can do it. Ever since grade school, I have been good at assignments. I satisfy my obligation, get my reward, and then I am free.

So, see, I think tithing (besides changing my life, which I expect I will talk about some other time) – I think tithing is excellent. In my spiritual weakness, I’m paying off a debt, so I can be free from obligation. Pay my tithe, okay, and my taxes, so I can take a break from concern about the people who live in tents in the forest around Sisters and across the nation, because their jobs, they do have jobs, don’t pay enough for them to make rent.  But I have done my part. Go to church on Sunday, so the rest of the week is mine. Say my prayers, so I can go back to my Powerball fantasy. (That’s why trickle-down economics doesn’t work, by the way. Once I have enough, and I do have enough, I still want more. The Bible calls that idolatry, placing my allegiance on another god.)

Thinking like that – I am not living in the kingdom of God. I’ve just got a weekend rental. What would it take, actually to move in?

All your mind, all your heart, all your soul, your strength, your possessions, all your time.

What does God want from me?

Oh yeah – God wants – me.

God wants me to box up my fears, fill out that change of address card, transfer my accounts, and move in – to the kingdom of God.

Change my nationality. I pledge allegiance to God the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth. I pledge allegiance to Jesus Christ, his Son our Lord. I pledge allegiance to God the Holy Spirit, who proceeds from the Father and the Son.

The author of the letter to the Hebrews talks about that country, and about those who pledged their allegiance to it before they ever got there.

Remember Noah, where his allegiance lay. He didn’t build that boat in his spare time. He didn’t prepare for a weekend cruise. He moved in, lock, stock, and family pets.

Then there was Abraham. He didn’t pack an overnight bag, take ten percent with him out of Ur and into that unknown land, while the rest of his things, not to mention his hopes and dreams were all safe in storage. It was a Ryder Rental, filled to the brim. It was his whole life.

Faith is not about ten percent, thought that is a sign of intent. It’s not about a couple hours on the weekend, though sticking to that discipline does prepare you.

Faith is about, how am I going to spend every day in this book [calendar]? And every penny in this one [checkbook]? My whole mind, my whole heart, my whole soul, my whole strength, my whole self. Am I going to invest that in the kingdom of God?

Fear not, little flock. For it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

Are we going to give our selves to God? Well, it depends. It depends on what we want. Do we want to live in the kingdom of God? That place where God is the Father of us all, and keeps an eye out for the children. And every day we discover more children, and learn to see them as God sees them, our brothers and sisters.

The kingdom of God, that place where Jesus gives all, so there’s no assignment left to do to earn the pat on the head. Just somebody to follow, so we can learn how to live, from the one who knows how to get up out of the grave.

The kingdom of God, that place where the Holy Spirit fills us up and gives us the power to overcome that fear, because we are so filled up with the love of Jesus that there isn’t any room any more for fear, just for love, the love that is the power to turn this book, and this one, too, over to a much bigger project than our accountant can count.

Imagine sitting down with every check and asking, Will this check bring closer the kingdom of God on earth? With this purchase at Freddie’s, to whom do I pledge my allegiance? As I am filling out my date book, on this day, at this hour, is this where I want the One to whom I am pledged to find me?

Fear not, little flock. For it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

And we can have it right now.

Imagine, every penny you spend, imagine spending it on something that builds a world where God’s will is done on earth as it is in heaven. Imagine, every moment of your day, imagine spending it in a way that makes that difference. Not wasting a cent, not wasting a second, but living a life worth living for the humanity we have been commanded to love and for the planet we have been given to tend. That’s the life that God wants to give to you.


Life – as if – the kingdom were come. And it is come. You have already received your reward, a life worth living. And when you die, you leave – nothing. Nothing is lost to you. It is invested; it is part of the kingdom of God, your native land, your chosen home, the land you will never leave again.

See you there.

photo of coffin by David Cantor in public domain
Tiffany window of Tree of Life in public domain



No comments:

Post a Comment